TestStand 2017 Help
»View Product Info
Download Help (Windows Only)
You can use TestStand workspace files to access the files in a source code control (SCC) system. When TestStand loads a workspace, the properties of a workspace specify whether TestStand attempts to connect to an SCC provider. When TestStand successfully connects to an SCC provider, you can use the commands in the Source Control menu.
To configure the properties of a workspace, right-click the workspace item in the Workspace pane of the TestStand Sequence Editor or the Workspace Browser dialog box and select Properties to launch the Workspace Object Properties dialog box. By default a workspace uses the default SCC provider the system specifies. You can configure the workspace to use the default SCC provider or a specific provider, and you can specify any provider specific options when you connect to the provider.
The Source Control tab of the Station Options dialog box displays the default SCC provider for a computer system, and specifies how TestStand behaves when you check files in and out of SCC.
TestStand integrates with any SCC system that supports the Microsoft SCC interface.
You can access source control commands through the sequence editor using either the Workspace context menu for any file or project in the workspace, or the Source Control menu. The Source Control menu contains the following items, which are available when a workspace file is open and the active window is a Sequence File window:
- Get Latest Version—Copies the latest version of the selected project or file from source control to the local computer. Click Advanced Options to launch a dialog box that varies based on the SCC provider.
- Check Out—Checks the selected file out of source control and places an editable copy of the file on the local computer. Click Advanced Options to launch a dialog box that varies based on the SCC provider.
||Note Before you make changes to a file, check the file out of source control. If, for a file checked into source control, you make a local copy of the file editable and then make changes, TestStand asks if you want to reload the file when you try to check the file out. When you reload the file, the version checked into source control overwrites the version on the local computer and you lose the changes you have made to the local file.
- Check In—Checks the selected file into source control.
- Undo Check Out—Checks the selected file back into source control and discards any changes you have made to the file. Click Advanced Options to launch a dialog box that varies based on the SCC provider.
- Add to Source Code Control—Adds the selected project or file to source code control.
- Remove from Source Code Control—Removes the selected project or file from source code control. You can only access this option from the Source Code Control menu in the sequence editor.
||Note Some SCC providers delete the local computer copy of the files you remove from source control using this option.
- Show History—Shows the SCC history of the selected file. The history gives you information about the previous versions of the file.
- Show Differences—Shows the differences between the two files you select to compare. For example, you can compare the local copy of a file with the same file checked into source control. The SCC provider determines the application that TestStand launches to compare two files. You can configure the SCC provider to use the TestStand File Diff and Merge utility to compare sequence files, or you can use any third-party text differ application to compare sequence files that use the INI or XML file formats.
- SCC Properties—The SCC properties for the selected file.
- Properties—Shows the properties of the selected file. This option is available only from the context menu for a file in a workspace. This option launches a dialog box that contains the following tabs:
- General—The pathname of the file, the date the file was last modified, and the SCC status of the file.
- Source Control—Displays the source control project and launches the SCC provider. Click Advanced Options to launch a dialog box that varies based on the SCC provider. For a workspace item, this tab also enables you to change and connect to an SCC provider and change the source control user name.
||Note This tab is only visible for workspace and project items.
- Refresh All Status—Refreshes the SCC status of all files in the workspace and verifies that the files exist on disk.
- SCC Provider Options—Displays options for the SCC system.
- Run SCC—Launches the SCC provider. You can access this option by selecting Source Control»Run, by clicking the Run button on the Source Control tab of the Workspace Object Properties dialog box, or by clicking the Run button on the Project File Properties dialog box. You can launch the Workspace Object Properties or Project File Properties dialog boxes by right-clicking the workspace or project in the workspace and selecting Properties from the context menu.
Selecting a Source Code Control Provider
Station Options dialog box
TestStand File Diff and Merge Utility
Workspace Context Menu
Workspace Browser dialog box
Workspace Object Properties dialog box