NI Digital Waveform Generator/Analyzer Help
»View Product Info
NI-HSDIO 1.1 and later support thermal shutdown capabilities with
NI digital waveform generator/analyzers.
These capabilities allow your device to detect when the device temperature has risen above
its optimal operating temperature and to then power down, preventing damage to your device
or improper performance.
Air circulation paths, fan settings, and space allowances are several factors that can
influence device temperature. To prevent thermal shutdown, follow the guidelines in the
5. Installing the Hardware section of the NI Digital Waveform Generator/Analyzer Getting Started Guide,
which ships with your device.
In the event that your device powers down, you will be notified with an error message
in one of the following ways:
- NI-HSDIO—NI-HSDIO will return an error when you use any of the functions that program
the hardware or check hardware status, for example, the static acquisition and generation
functions, commit functions, and self calibration function.
- MAX—Measurement & Automation Explorer will return an error message if you run a
self-test on your device after it exceeds the thermal shutdown temperature. The thermal
shutdown error continues to be reported until the device is successfully reset.
To re-enable your device after thermal shutdown, complete the following steps:
- Power down the computer or chassis that contains the module.
- Review the guidelines in the Installing the Hardware section of the
NI Digital Waveform Generator/Analyzer Getting Started Guide that shipped with your
module and make any necessary adjustments to ensure your module can cool itself effectively.
- Reset the device by either calling niHSDIO_ResetDevice
(or using the niHSDIO Reset Device VI) or performing a
device reset in MAX. For more information about performing a device reset in MAX, refer to the
Configuring in MAX section of the NI Digital Waveform Generator/Analyzer Getting Started Guide.
The thermal shutdown error continues to be reported until the device is successfully reset.