To read and write data with controls and indicators, drag a shared variable from the Project Explorer window to the front panel of a VI to create a control bound to the shared variable. You also can specify more configuration options or read and write a shared variable in a separate project by completing the following steps.
- Right-click a front panel object and select Properties from the shortcut menu to display the Properties dialog box for the object.
- Navigate to the Data Binding page.
- Select Shared Variable Engine (NI-PSP) from the Data Binding Selection list.
- Select the shared variable or NI-PSP data item you want to bind the front panel object to.
- Click the Browse button to display the Select Source Item dialog box.
- Choose from the following options in the Network-Published Source pull-down menu:
- Select Project Items to bind the front panel object to a shared variable in the current project.
- Select Network Items to bind the front panel object to a shared variable or other NI-PSP data item in another project.
||Note Your VI will break if you move the shared variable or data item or it becomes unavailable on the network.
- Select the shared variable or NI-PSP data item and click the OK button.
- Under the Access Type pull-down menu of the Data Binding page, choose from the following options to specify how the front panel object interacts with the shared variable or data item:
- Select Read only to read from the shared variable or data item.
- Select Write only to write to the shared variable or data item.
- Select Read/Write to read from and write to the shared variable or data item.
- Refer to the Troubleshooting Front Panel Data Binding topic for information about ensuring that the connection is successful.