Complete the following steps to create an Express VI from an existing standard VI.
- Select Tools»Advanced»Create or Edit Express VI to display the Create or Edit Express VI dialog box.
- Click the New button to display the Initialize page of the Express VI Creator wizard.
- Select the Create from a VI option.
- Click the Next button.
- In the file dialog that appears, navigate to the standard VI on which you want to base the new Express VI and click the OK button. The Convert VI page of the Express VI Creator wizard appears.
- Determine whether you want the VI terminals to be configurable or expandable and place or remove checkmarks in the appropriate checkboxes.
- Click the Next button to display the Setup Express VI page of the Express VI Creator wizard.
- Enter a name for the new Express VI in the Express VI name text box.
- Specify a location for the new Express VI in the Express VI path text box. The default directory is labview\user.lib\_express. If you save Express VIs in this directory, they appear on the Express User Libraries palette and in the Create or Edit Express VI dialog box.
||Note (Mac OS X and Linux) The default location for Express VIs you create is the LabVIEW default data directory because not all users can write to the user.lib directory.|
- Click the Finish button to display the Create or Edit Express VI dialog box. The new Express VI appears in the Express VIs tree.
- From the Express VIs list, expand the Express VI item to display the source VI and configuration dialog box VI.
- Open the source VI to finish building it. Notice that the source VI contains all the controls and indicators from the original VI that you set as expandable, the connector pane, and the VI icon. The VI icon of the source VI also appears as the icon for the Express VI.
- Open the configuration dialog box VI to finish building the front panel and block diagram.
- Save and close the VIs.