LabVIEW 2013 Robotics Module Help
»View Product Info
When you simulate a mobile robot, parts of the simulated environment are defined in .ive and .stl files. The robotics simulator uses these files, along with other data, to render the environment. You can export information about an environment that is saved in an existing CAD file to a .ive file. Use this .ive file with an existing .stl file that corresponds to the original CAD file to define an environment you can use in the robotics simulator.
Complete the following steps to use CAD files to define a simulated environment and save the definition to a file.
- Open and run the CAD Model Converter VI located in the labview\vi.lib\robotics\Simulator\Interface\Utility\Converter directory.
- Enter the path to the CAD file you want to convert in the Input Path control. This VI supports CAD files with the following file formats: .dae, .ive, and .lvsg.
- In the Export Path control, enter the path to a .ive file to which you want to export information from the CAD file. Save the file in a subdirectory of the labview\resource\robotics\simulator\CADModels\environment directory.
.ive files describe the visualization model of the environment.
- Click the Export button export the CAD information to the .ive file.
- Save an existing .stl file that corresponds to the original CAD file in a subdirectory of the labview\resource\robotics\simulator\CADModels\environment directory.
.stl files are triangle mesh files that describe the physical model of the environment.
- Use the Offline Configuration VIs to create a .xml file that defines an environment according to these .ive and .stl files. The following block diagram shows an example of designing a simulated environment manually and saving the environment in a .xml file you can load in the Robotics Environment Simulator Wizard.
In the previous block diagram, the Property Node associates the .ive and .stl files with the definition for a new simulated environment. The Flatten to XML function and the Save Manifest File String VI, which is located in labview\vi.lib\robotics\Simulator\Interface\Simulator Configuration directory, save the definition to disk.
To make a simulation scene whose environment is defined in .ive and .stl files accessible in the Robotics Environment Simulator Wizard, save the .xml file in the labview\resource\plugins\NewDialogFiles\ProjectWizards\Robotics\LV4R_SIM\Config\Environment directory.