NI InsightCM™ 3.1 Help
»View Product Info
Parent Topic: Getting Started with Devices
Adding a device to NI InsightCM Server is easier if you know its IP address. Complete the following steps to find or set the IP address for a device for the first time:
Insert the USB drive into the USB port on the controller front panel. The USER1 LED lights solid, which indicates that the device is reading from or writing to the settings file.
||Tip You can use the blank USB drive included in the NI InsightCM Server kit, if available.
- Remove the USB drive when the USER1 LED returns to blinking steadily.
- Insert the USB drive into a USB port on a computer.
Browse the file structure of the drive to the following directory: <RootLevel>:\InsightCM\download\NI-cRIO-ModelNumber-SerialNumber.
- To view the current IP address, skip to step 6. To change the IP address or set the IP address to be static, copy the JSON file whose filename begins with networkInfo_ followed by the device hostname, such as networkInfo_NI-cRIO-ModelNumber-SerialNumber.json, to the following location on the USB drive: <RootLevel>:\InsightCM\upload. You might need to create the upload folder.
- Open the JSON file whose filename begins with networkInfo_ followed by the device hostname.
array that contains the line "IsPrimary" : true, the following line displays the current IP address:
is the IP address.
- To change the IP address, enter the desired value. Otherwise, record the IP address.
(Optional) To assign a static IP address, configure the following line in the array as shown:
"IP Address Request Mode":"1",
- Save the file in the <RootLevel>:\InsightCM\upload directory. If you save the file in another location, the device may not be able to read it.
- Close the file.
- If you made changes to the file, insert the USB drive back into the USB port on the controller front panel. The USER1 LED lights solid, which indicates that the device is reading network and
connection properties. You can remove the USB drive when the USER1 LED returns to blinking steadily.
||Tip To verify that the device successfully applied changes you made to the file, reinsert the USB drive in a computer and browse to the <RootLevel>:\InsightCM directory. If the changes succeeded, the upload folder no longer contains the JSON file you edited, and instead, a folder named applied contains the file.
Setting the IP Address for an Online Device
If a device is online and you know its IP address, you can enter the IP address on the Device Configuration page»Hardware tab to connect to the device.
IP Address Request Mode Options
The following table shows all supported values for the IP Address Request Mode field.
||IP Address Type
||DHCP or Link Local
||Link Local Only
Adding a New Device Configuration
Hardware Tab (Device Configuration Page)