NI InsightCM™ 3.3 Help
»View Product Info
Parent Topic: Learn More about Server Administration
By default, users do not need to access the NI InsightCM web application via a Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) connection. However, if you want to allow or require SSL connections, this topic contains instructions for implementing this feature.
Enabling SSL Connections to the NI InsightCM Web Application
Before you begin: Create an SSL certificate. NI InsightCM Server provides a placeholder SSL certificate that you need to replace with your own. If you use the placeholder certificate, browsers display certificate errors when you access the NI InsightCM web application.
Complete the following steps to enable SSL connections to the NI InsightCM web application:
- Open the Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager application from the Windows start menu.
- In the Connections tree at the left side of the application, expand the node that represents the server machine.
- Expand the Sites node and select the InsightCM node.
- In the Actions pane at the right side of the application, click the Bindings link.
- In the Site Bindings dialog box, select the https item, and then click the Edit button.
- Notice the SSL certificate pull-down menu displays a default certificate with the text PLEASE REPLACE ME. Select an SSL certificate you created instead.
- Click OK in the Edit Site Binding dialog box, and then click Close to return to IIS Manager.
After you complete this procedure, the following conditions describe the state of the NI InsightCM web application:
- Users can access the NI InsightCM web application via the following URLs: https://serverDNSHostname, https://serverIpAddress.
- Users also can still access the NI InsightCM web application through non-SSL (HTTP) connections. To require SSL connections, refer to the following section.
- You can now integrate the NI InsightCM web application with the Windows Active Directory service to require users to log in to the NI InsightCM web application with Windows account credentials.
Requiring SSL Connections
After you apply an SSL certificate to the https site binding, users can still browse to and open the NI InsightCM web application using an http connection. Complete the following steps to require SSL connections:
- In IIS Manager, ensure the InsightCM node is still selected in the Connections tree.
- Browse to the IIS section on the Features View tab on center of the page, and then double-click the SSL Settings icon.
- Place a checkmark in the Require SSL checkbox.
- Click Apply in the Actions pane at the right side of the application.
If you browse to http://serverName:82, the browser displays an error because an SSL connection via a URL such as https://serverDNSHostname is required.
Assigning Permissions to NI InsightCM Web Application Users
Overview of an NI InsightCM Enterprise System