NI InsightCM™ SDK Help
»View Product Info
Parent Topic: Developing Device Applications for Targets in an NI InsightCM System
The NI InsightCM SDK device source code integrates several processes to create data sets and transfer them to NI InsightCM Server. The following illustration shows the interactions between these processes. When you extend the source code, you typically reuse the NI-developed File Manager and Server Comm processes to manage and transfer data sets. However, you can choose whether to reuse the Data Event Creator process and the Fileflow Script or to implement custom data set creation and processing behavior.
Choosing Whether to Develop a Custom Data Set Creation Process
You can choose to reuse the NI-developed Data Event Creator process or to develop your own code that creates data sets.
Reusing the Data Event Creator Process
The Data Event Creator process integrates with the processes in the Dataflow Script. For example, this process writes files according to various types of triggers that the NI-developed Trigger and Trend Alarm processes evaluate. Also, the Data Event Creator process maintains incomplete data sets until the Accumulator process generates enough data to satisfy the desired data size. If you choose to reuse the Data Event Creator process, be aware of the following development guidelines:
- Processes that acquire data must register the data with the Data Event Creator process prior to sending their data sets to the Dataflow Script.
- This process produces in-memory data sets rather than writing them to its disk.
- This process automatically sends in-memory data sets to the first process in the Fileflow Script, where processes in the script can post-process the data. The final process in the Fileflow Script sends data to the File Manager process to be transferred to the server.
Developing a Custom Data Set Creation Process
A custom data set creation process can create data and properties according to your unique programming goals. If you remove NI-developed functionality that the Data Event Creator process relies on, such as evaluating alarms, this approach is appropriate. If you choose to develop a custom data creation process, be aware of the following development guidelines:
- You can choose between writing in-memory data sets or data sets on the device disk.
- If the process writes in-memory data sets and you desire to have the data pass through the Fileflow Script, you must send data to the first process in Fileflow Script. Use the Fileflow VIs.
- If you do not want to integrate the process with the Fileflow Script, you must send data to the File Manager process, where they are transferred to the server. Use the VIs on the File Manager»Send Message palette to send either an in-memory or on-disk data set.
- Ensure the process writes a subset of properties that NI InsightCM Server requires in order to perform basic operations, such as storing the data. If you intend for users to load data in the InsightCM web application, an additional set of properties are required.
Post-Processing Data Sets with Fileflow Script
Data Event Creator Process