LabVIEW 2014 Robotics Module Help
»View Product Info
June 2014, 372983F-01
The LabVIEW Robotics Module is a software package that allows you to develop and deploy a robotics application using LabVIEW, other National Instruments software, and device drivers.
The Robotics Module provides the following components:
- VIs and device drivers—Robotics Module VIs provide algorithms for navigation, steering, and so on. The Robotics Module also provides sensor and actuator drivers that allow you to control certain devices commonly used in robotics systems. To access the Robotics VIs and most device drivers, select View»Functions Palette from the block diagram in LabVIEW and navigate to the Robotics palette.
||Note The Robotics Module also includes drivers that provide connectivity to sensors on FPGA targets. To browse or search for these drivers, use the NI Example Finder, available by selecting Help»Find Examples in LabVIEW. The Robotics»Sensor Drivers category contains these drivers.
- Setup wizards—The Robotics Module provides the following wizards:
- Hardware Setup Wizard—This wizard configures the basic settings of NI RIO hardware targets and installs software on the targets. Select View»Getting Started Window, click the Welcome link on the Getting Started window, and click the Hardware Setup Wizard link to launch this wizard.
- Robotics Project Wizard—This wizard allows you to create a new LabVIEW project configured with your hardware or a simulation project. Select File»New from the Getting Started window to open the New dialog box. Expand the Project»Project from Wizard node and select Robotics Project. Then, click the OK button to launch the Robotics Project Wizard.
- Simulator—A built-in robotics simulator renders 3D simulation scenes and models the motion of real robots in a real-world environment.
- Examples—Examples VIs demonstrate robotics concepts, such as path planning, kinematics, and acquiring data from sensors. You can modify an example VI to fit an application, or you can copy and paste from one or more example VIs into a VI that you create. Use the NI Example Finder, available by selecting Help»Find Examples from LabVIEW, to browse or search for example VIs.
||Note Some robotics examples require additional software. In the NI Example Finder, select an example and refer to the Information section for a list of software you must install to run the example.
You also can access robotics-specific example VIs from the labview\examples\robotics directory. Access examples for certain sensor and actuator drivers in the labview\instr.lib\device directory, where device is the name of a device for which you have drivers installed.
- Templates—Templates demonstrate useful design patterns and serve as starting points for your applications. You can customize the templates according to the needs of your application. Select File»Create Project to display the Create Project dialog box, which lists templates. The Robotics Module provides the robotics application architectures template.
Use the LabVIEW Robotics environment to easily access these features.
Code Downloads on ni.com
Use the following links to find resources and download code that might be helpful as you use the Robotics Module.
- FPGA IPNet—Find FPGA IP and examples gathered from internal National Instruments developers and the LabVIEW FPGA community.
- Instrument Driver Network (IDNet)—Find, download, and customize a driver to communicate with third-party instruments.
See how others use the NI development platform in applications for autonomous vehicles, research and teaching, and robotic arms at ni.com/robotics.
© 2009–2014 National Instruments. All rights reserved.