NI InsightCM™ 3.3 Help
»View Product Info
Parent Topic: Learn More about Device Fundamentals
When you replace an I/O module or device that is represented in the NI InsightCM web application, complete the following steps to ensure the replacement works successfully.
Replacing a Module
Complete the following steps to replace an I/O module in a chassis:
- Ensure that no I/O-side power is connected to the module.
- Power off the device.
- Squeeze the latches on both sides of the module and pull the module from the chassis.
- Replace the module in the chassis. Refer to the Maintaining Hardware in NI Monitoring Devices document for step-by-step instructions about installing a new C Series I/O module. These documents are linked from the list of related-documentation resources.
- Supply power to the device.
If the model of the new module is different from the model of the old module, complete the following steps:
- Open the NI InsightCM web application and browse to the Hardware tab of the Device Configuration page.
- Click the Edit Hardware button.
- In the Slots section, ensure the pull-down menu for each slot reflects the module model in the corresponding slot of the chassis.
- Click OK.
- Click Save at the top of the Device Configuration page to send the updated device configuration to the device.
Hardware Tab (Device Configuration Page)
Replacing a Device
Complete the following steps to replace a device with another device with the same model:
- Browse to the Device Configuration page.
- Click the Action menu and select Disable Device. Disabling the device prevents it from attempting to communicate with the NI InsightCM Server while you are replacing it.
- Power off the old device.
Prepare the replacement device to be as similar to the original device as possible. You might need to perform the following tasks:
- Insert C Series modules in the device chassis.
- Set the IP address of the new device to be the same as the device you are replacing. This allows the new device to connect to NI InsightCM Server and come online when it powers on.
- Mount the new device in place of the old device, connecting to the network, sensors, and power.
- In the NI InsightCM web application, on the Device Configuration page, click the Action menu and select Connection»Test Connection. This prompts the device to connect to NI InsightCM Server.
- Click the Action menu and select Connection»Reset Connection to send a new connection information file to the device. This file includes new credentials so that the device can come online.
- Check the device status on the Device Configuration page to ensure it comes online.
Troubleshooting Devices That Do Not Come Online
Permission-Based Access to the NI InsightCM Web Application